PVNC Board votes on Cobourg Catholic Elementary Schools Accommodation Review
Board of Trustees approves the closure of St. Michael Catholic Elementary School in Cobourg
On March 28, 2017 the Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington (PVNC) Catholic District School Board approved a motion to establish an Accommodation Review Committee (ARC) and “initiate a school accommodation review involving St. Michael, St. Joseph and Notre Dame Catholic elementary schools in Cobourg.” The work of the ARC began on May 15, 2017 and concluded with a presentation of the Final Staff Report to the Board of Trustees on January 23, 2018.
That report, along with all other documentation pertaining to the ARC process including timelines, can be viewed on our website at: pvn.cc/cobourgARC
On Monday, February 26, 2018, the Board of Trustees approved the recommendations of the Final Staff Report via the following motions:
- THAT the Board of Trustees approves the closure of St. Michael Catholic Elementary School andtransfer of the French Immersion program to Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School to create adual track (French & English) school. This motion is subject to the Ministry of Education approvaland completion of capital improvements at Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School.
- THAT the Board of Trustees approves the revision of the French Immersion catchment area toreflect movement of the French Immersion program to Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School. This catchment area revision is subject to the Ministry of Education approval and completion ofcapital improvements at Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School.
- THAT the Board of Trustees approves the implementation of a boundary change for English trackstudents at Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School and St. Joseph Catholic Elementary School asoutlined in the Initial Staff Report, Option 4 – proposed new school boundaries. This boundarychange will become effective as of the approval of the Cobourg Catholic Elementary SchoolsAccommodation Review Final Staff Report (Feb. 26, 2018).
- THAT the Board of Trustees approves, on a without prejudice basis, to provide all currentfamilies affected by the Notre Dame – St. Joseph Catholic elementary schools boundary change,the option of continuing attendance at Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School as outlined in theFinal Staff Report – Guiding Principles.
- THAT the Board of Trustees approves and directs staff to submit a business case to the Ministry of Education during the next round of submissions for capital facility improvements at Notre Dame Catholic Elementary School in the following priority:
(1) New replacement school.
(2) New addition and facility improvements.
March 28, 2017
January 23, 2018
As noted in the above motions, the closure of St. Michael CES and the subsequent movement of those students to Notre Dame CES will NOT occur until such time as funding for capital improvements is approved by the Ministry of Education, and construction is completed at the Notre Dame site.
Effectively, it is business as usual for at least the next two school years.
Existing Notre Dame CES families that are impacted by the boundary shift to St. Joseph CES will be individually contacted in the near future, and will be asked to indicate their preferences for school attendance for the 2018/19 school year. New families moving into the revised school catchment area will attend St. Joseph CES from this point forward.
“Closing a school is perhaps the most difficult decision for a school board to make, however, we look forward to the exciting possibilities and many long-term benefits for the Catholic elementary school communities in Cobourg as we move forward,” said Board Chairperson Michelle Griepsma.