Parent Engagement in Catholic Schools
When parents/guardians are involved in their children’s Catholic education, everyone benefits – students, parents, teachers, schools, parishes, Diocese and communities. Great faith-based schools can become even better places to learn, teach and develop in faith, and student achievement often improves. Parent engagement includes placing an emphasis on opening to the grace of God through prayer and faithful living; making learning an important part of a child’s day; supporting students at home and at school; and participating in the life of the classroom, school, parish and community.
Catholic Parent Engagement Committee (CPEC)
WHAT IS THE ROLE of the Catholic Parent Engagement Committee (CPEC)?
- To provide feedback/input on school board policies/procedures, strategic goals etc.
- Be a resource for Catholic School Councils throughout the board.
- Reach out to parents and help them feel engaged in their child(ren)’s education.
- Host Special Events, including the Catholic School Council Recognition Evening
- CPEC is the parent voice at the board level.
WHO IS on the Catholic Parent Engagement Committee (CPEC)?
- CPEC is a provincially mandated advisory committee comprised of:
- Volunteer Parent Representatives (2) from each of the Families of Schools who are parent/guardians of students enrolled in a school within our PVNC.
- Director of Education • School Board Trustee
- Principal representative • Diocesan representative
- Community representative
WHAT IS THE COMMITMENT for Parent Representatives?
- Meetings are held about 8 times throughout the school year.
- Meetings begin at 6:30 p.m. until approximately 8:30 p.m.
- Meetings are open to the public; anyone can attend.
HOW do I become a Parent Representative?
- Parent representatives serve a two-year term.
- Parents fill out an application form expressing their interest in joining.
- If more than two parents are chosen from each family of schools to represent
that area, an election will take place.
The Ontario Association of Parents in Catholic Education (OAPCE) is the voice of parents and guardians of children enrolled in the publicly funded English Catholic System of Education in the Province of Ontario. The OAPCE is the only association recognized by the Ministry of Education and the Institute for Catholic Education as representing the parents/guardians of children in the publicly-funded system of Catholic education.
Parents sometimes need guidance in knowing how to best support their child with their school work, relationships, faith experiences and questions. Opportunities for additional involvement and support are not always clear for parents. The following links provide parents in our Catholic learning communities with very helpful resources.