Children with rucksacks running in the park near school. Pupils with books and backpacks outdoors

School-Based Supports

School Social Workers

Our Board has six full-time equivalent (FTE) School Social Workers who service our six secondary schools and their feeder elementary schools. School Social Workers provide support to students dealing with a variety of concerns including mental health difficulties, family conflict, and other social-emotional challenges. Referrals for this service are made through the School Resource Team and School Success Team meetings.

Chaplaincy Leaders

Each of our high schools has a Chaplaincy Leader who supports the spiritual, social and emotional well-being of our students. Our chaplaincy leaders work closely with the clergy and parishes within their geographical areas to support religious and family life. Students can self-refer to this support.

Guidance Teachers

Each of our high schools has a Guidance Teacher who provides support to our students. Students can access this support on a self-referral basis.

Supervised Alternative Learning Program

The Supervised Alternative Learning Program can provide support to high school students who are experiencing significant barriers to attending regular programming for a variety of reasons including chronic and severe mental health difficulties. Referrals to this program are made by the School Principal.

How Do I Access Support for my Child?

If you have concerns about your student, talk to his/her teacher – who is a valuable source of information about how your child is managing his/her academic and social life at school. You can also speak with your
School Principal about additional supports related to mental health and other social-emotional concerns.