St. Joseph CES Douro to gather to bless and celebrate new school addition
PETERBOROUGH – The St. Joseph Catholic Elementary School community in Douro will gather on Saturday, Oct. 14, 2023 to celebrate and bless the school’s new 6,786-square foot addition, a renovation that includes four new classrooms, a library and a staffroom among other site improvements.
“This is a great day for Catholic Education in the community of Douro as St. Joseph Catholic Elementary School celebrates a substantial renovation,” said Kevin MacKenzie, Peterborough Victoria Northumberland and Clarington Catholic District School Board Chairperson. “This new learning space is an investment in local education. It will be valued for years to come, meeting the needs of our students and staff in Douro now and into the future.”
St. Joseph CES principal Mark Collins commended his school community who had been attending school in close proximity to a construction zone for more than a year. Construction of the addition began in spring 2022 and continued through the 2022-2023 school year. The project was completed in late August, just in time for the first day of school on Sept. 5, 2023.
“Throughout the construction period, our students, families and staff adapted to the temporary situation with so much grace and flexibility,” Collins said. “As we began this school year, it has been thrilling to watch students and staff enjoying this improved learning environment.”
School blessing and ribbon cutting
On Saturday, Oct. 14 beginning at 10:30 a.m, the school community will host students, staff, families, the local parish priest, trustees, school board officials and local dignitaries as Peterborough Bishop Daniel Miehm officially blesses the new Catholic school facilities followed by a ribbon cutting.
What: Blessing of St. Joseph CES Douro school addition and ribbon cutting
When: Saturday, Oct. 14 at 10:30 a.m.
Who: Bishop Daniel Miehm will bless the new school facilities. Ceremony will include remarks from members of the school community and local dignitaries
Where: St. Joseph CES Douro, 405 Douro 4th Line
- The Ministry of Education announced the school addition in July 2020.
- The Ministry of Education gave the Board final approval to proceed with the tender process in July 2021.
- The Board received the necessary municipal permits to commence construction in Spring 2022.
- Construction took place throughout the 2022-2023 school year and over the 2023 summer break.
- New school facilities were completed and ready for occupancy by Sept. 5, 2023.
- The new 6,786-square foot addition includes four new classrooms (or 92 student spaces), a new library, a new staff room, a new mechanical room, new washrooms, and a new parking area. The cost of the project was $6.1 million.
- The school has been switched from oil heating to propane heating for future operational cost savings and the new addition includes complete LED lighting.