Three PVNC schools earn Platinum designation as Ontario EcoSchools
From energy conservation to environmentally-focused classroom lessons, PVNC students are going green. In the 2017-18 school year, 12 PVNC schools were certified with the Ontario EcoSchools program. Three schools received the program’s Platinum designation, five were awarded Gold, two Silver and two Bronze.
St. Paul Catholic Elementary School in Lakefield has now earned EcoSchools designation for the past 11 years in a row.
Ontario EcoSchools works with 58 school boards to nurture student leadership and foster environmental learning and action in school communities. Certification is based on a provincial standard of excellence and reaches 1,000,000 students across Ontario. PVNC is proud to be part of this growing network, and supports ongoing environmental practices in our schools.
“Every year I am consistently amazed by the learning, leadership and service students have demonstrated in support of our natural environment,” said student achievement consultant Sarah Taylor, who helps facilitate the Board’s EcoSchool programing.
“It is through their dedication and commitment that exceptional environmental learning and environmental responsible practices are being incorporated into schools. Through Ontario EcoSchools, students are provided with experiential learning opportunities that connect their learning with global citizenship, which helps students make positive changes for the future. I am very pleased to witness such active participation from both new and returning schools. Thank-you to all of our educators that help to instill this passion for creativity, critical thinking, and collaboration for stewardship and kinship with the environment.”
Below is a full list of all certified PVNC EcoSchools:
- Holy Cross Catholic Secondary School, Peterborough
- St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Elementary School, Newcastle
- Holy Trinity Catholic Secondary School, Courtice
- Holy Family Assisi Catholic Elementary School, Bowmanville
- St. Joseph Catholic Elementary School, Douro
- St. Patrick Catholic Elementary School, Peterborough
- St. Paul Catholic Elementary School, Norwood
- St. Stephen Catholic Secondary School, Bowmanville
- St. Paul Catholic Elementary School, Lakefield
- St. Peter Catholic Secondary School, Peterborough
- St. Mary Catholic Secondary School, Cobourg
- St. Mother Teresa Catholic Elementary School, Courtice
- Ontario EcoSchools is an award-winning environmental education and certification program for grades K-12 that nurtures environmental leaders, reduces the ecological impact of schools, and builds environmentally responsible school communities. All publicly funded schools can access the EcoSchools program free of charge.
- Visit www.ontarioecoschools.org/media/ for more information and for a full list of certified schools across the province.