Ontario EcoSchools is an environmental education program that addresses environmental learning for both students and school operations. It has been designed by school boards for school boards to incorporate environmental education and environmentally responsible action into the school setting. As a Catholic school community, we are called to live out our Christian responsibility for the environment by cultivating and caring for the goodness of all God's creation.
The purpose of EcoSchools is to:
- Provide teachers with environmental education resource units for elementary and secondary grades based on the Ontario curriculum
- Provide guides that promote taking individual action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions
- Align what is taught in classrooms with school operations
- Save money and reduce our impact on the environment at both the Board and school levels and provide related opportunities for learning and action outside the classroom to reinforce classroom education
EcoSchools focuses on these four areas:
- Energy conservation
- Waste minimization
- Ecological literacy
- School ground greening
EcoSchools recognizes the achievements of the participating schools through a certification process that awards a gold,
silver, or bronze level of achievement.
Congratulations to the following schools for achieving certification!
- St. Paul's Elementary School, Norwood - Gold 2008, Gold 2009
- St. Paul's Elementary School, Lakefield - Silver 2008, Gold 2009, Gold 2010, Silver 2011
- St. Mary's Elementary School, Lindsay - Gold 2009, Gold 2010
- St. Stephen's Secondary School, Bowmanville - Silver 2009, Gold 2010
- Holy Family Elementary School, Bowmanville - Silver 2010
- Monsignor O'Donoghue Elementary School, Peterborough - Gold 2010, Gold 2011
- St. Joseph's Elementary School, Douro - Bronze 2010, Bronze 2011
- St. Mary's Elementary School, Campbellford - Silver 2010, Gold 2011
- St. Dominic Elementary School, Lindsay - Silver 2010
- St. Thomas Aquinas Secondary School, Lindsay - Silver 2010
- Holy Cross Secondary School, Courtice - Silver 2011
View the Ontario EcoSchools website
for more details.